The American Dream


Hello! It has been a while since I posted last, and today I’ve been pondering the ideology of “The American Dream.” You know, the universal dream that everybody who is anybody strives to achieve. Well in reading the book, The Color of Law by Richard Rothstein, I was enlightened to learn how the government systematically put laws into place to establish and maintain de facto segregation. Agencies like FHA, HUD, job unions, and the IRS just to name a few had policies that ensured that African American families would not receive equal treatment compared to their white counterparts. Despite the abolition of slavery, the civil rights movement, equal income and education African Americans were still treated unjustly. If this is indeed the land of the free and the home of the brave, then why is it necessary to systematically oppress a race of individuals? I’m striving for the American Dream but sometimes I wonder whose American Dream is it?

Comments